This is not really a post about my soul, but it is about being free. Being free from what, you ask? From buying stuff I don’t need. Do I really need another dress? Or a latte every day? I have to pay taxes this year, and I really want to take a trip this summer. I don’t want my travel money to become my tax money.
I decided the only way to keep that from happening was to do another 30-day challenge. This one is for the month of May, so 31 days, really. It is an I-will-not-spend-any-money challenge.
These are the essentials:
Anything that is not on that list, I will not buy. It’s not going to be easy. A friend told me I should let myself have one treat, like a latte, every week. I think this is a good idea. I’d rather cheat a little than give up on the whole thing. I will try at least one week without buying anything though.
I tried to think of free things I can do. I don’t want to stay home all the time just because I don’t want to spend any money. Here’s what I can do fo free:
– Go running.
– Yoga (I already paid for a bunch of classes).
– Ride my bike.
– Visit museums (some are free for teachers).
– See as many Imax movies as I want (I already have a teacher pass).
– Picnics! I love picnics.
– Go to the gym (I have a membership, so I have to pay for it anyways).
– Lululemon events like Sunday morning yoga, run club and fitness Friday. But, sadly, no lululemon clothes!
– Read the books I already have. There are so many I haven’t read yet.
– The May photo a day challenge.
– Barre workout at a new studio. First class is free!
– Have dinner with friends.
– Go walking in Gatineau Park.
I’m pretty excited about this challenge, even though it scares me a little. I like to shop and the school where I work is between two coffee shops. I think I’ll probably end up doing so many free things that I won’t miss spending money. Well, I hope so anyways!
On a side note, I did wheel again in yoga today. Pure bliss! And, feeling pleased with myself was free!
If you have any ideas of free things for me to do, please let me know!