In September, my friend Suzanne and I decided to write lists of 101 things to do in 1001 days. We were always saying “We should do this!” or “We should do that!” So, in keeping with the whole, “More action, less talk” theme, I got to it! I started my list on October 1st, 2011, which gives me untill June 28th, 2014 to complete it. I was very motivated as I wrote the list, and I still am, but some things might take more time than I thought! Every time I do something and I cross it off the list, I feel amazing!
Here it is:
1. This one is personnal, so it’s a secret for now!
2. Go running every day for a week.
3. Take a trip by myself.
4. Go to a burlesque dance class.
5. Send in a secret to Postsecret.
6. Read Anna Karenina.
7. Take a trip with Suzanne.
8. Take a pole-dancing class.
9. Go to a yoga retreat.
10. Go back to school to get a certificate in speech therapy.
11. Write a book.
12. Try snowboarding.
Done! February 26th, 2012. Whenever I told people I wanted to try snowboarding, they all told me I would fall a lot. That’s true, I did, but no one said how awesome it would be! I was a lot better at it than I thought, which helped! I went 4 times while we still had snow, and every time was more fun than the time before. I will definitely do this again!
13. Go to Central or South America.
14. Make a quilt.
15. Volunteer for Girl Guides
16. This one is a secret!
17. Do a tarot reading for someone.
18. Do 108 sun salutations.
19. Try to get an educational game published.
20. Watch “Roman Holiday” with Audrey Hepburn.
21. Go to the Black Sheep Inn in Wakefield.
22. Take a trip with my mom.
23. Go running along the canal.
24. Get a cell phone I can text with. Done! Noverber 26th, 2011. I got one for my birthday!
25. Run a 10k.
26. Make a cd with my favourite Jewel songs.
27. Watch the X-Men trilogy in one day.
28. See a foreign film in a movie theatre.
29. Bake bread.
30. Visit the National Gallery.
31. Plant sunflowers.
32. Listen to an audio book.
33. Take a spinning class.
34. Go hiking.
Done! October 10th, 2011. I went to the Luskville Falls with my mom and my sister. It was Thanksgiving weekend, and it was so hot, it felt more like summer than fall! I remember feeling quite grumpy when I woke up that morning, but by the end of the day, I was all smiles!
35. Have a beer tasting party.
36. Go to church.
37. Make a dress (working on it!)
38. Eat beets.
Done! November 25th, 2011. I was sure I would have trouble with this one, because I don’t like beets. They taste like dirt. I was going to look for a recipe, try to hide the taste, and make the best of it! I added this to the list because I’m a picky eater and I’m trying to add new things to my diet. I went out to dinner in a fancy restaurant the day before my birthday, and I ordered a salad to start. It had all kinds of flowers in it and it was delicious! I ate what I thought was a fried flower, loved it, and said “This is amazing!” before I realized it was a fried beet, cut up like a flower! If beets always tasted like that, I would eat them every day!
39. Climb a tree.
40. Learn how to drive standard.
41. Find the perfect little black dress.
42. This one is a secret!
43. Play volleyball.
Done! January 11th, 2012. One of the other teachers at school suggested we play volleyball in the gym after work one day. I hadn’t played volleyball in 15 years or so, and I was a lot better than I remembered! Or maybe it was that the people I was playing with were just nicer about it. Either way, it was fun!
44. Visit a province I have never been to.
45. Get an IMAX teacher movie pass.
Done! January 14th, 2012. For 15$, I can now see all the IMAX movies I want for a whole year. Not bad when you think that one movie is 11$. I also found out that it’s free for teachers to visit the museum, anytime.
46. Go on a road trip.
47. Take a photography class.
48. Give blood.
49. Make soap.
50. Go camping.
51. Read “The catcher in the rye”
52. Watch Sleeping Beauty.
53. Build a snowman.
54. Get a massage.
55. Shoot a gun.
56. Cook with tofu.
57. See or be in a parade.
58. Play Monopoly.
59. See “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”
60. Make tiramisu.
61. Try a yoga-dance class.
62. See the sun rise.
63. Try a new kind of tea.
64. Do yoga on the beach.
65. See an opera.
66. Fly a kite.
67. Play hopscotch.
68. Give someone flowers.
69. Have a snowball fight.
70. Go to a concert.
71. Buy a “Dalida” album.
72. Do the hula.
Done! Sort of. January 11th, 2012. When I wrote this, I had the Hawaiian hula in mind, but I ended up trying a hula-hoop dancing class. I didn’t even know that sort of thing existed! I was a lot of fun, and a good workout too! I still want to do the hula, but I’m glad I tried hoop dancing.
73. Get my fortune told.
74. Donate to a good cause.
75. Host a dinner party.
76. For one whole day, give compliments to everyone I talk to.
77. Make a list of the books I read, up 101. (Started. I’m at 30.)
78. Read “Alice in Wonderland”.
79. Send a care package.
80. Go bowling.
81. See a musical.
82. Write a letter.
83. See Cirque du Soleil.
84. Write a list of 101 things that make me happy. (Started)
85. Go rock climbing.
86. Do yoga every day for one week.
87. Write a travel story and submit it to a magazine.
88. Fast for one day during Ramadan.
89. Send someone a card.
90. Not buy any new clothes for one week.
91. Watch the original Strawberry Shortcake.
92. Bake with kids.
93. Finish my chandelier.
94. Be a tourist in my own city.
95. Learn some sign language.
96. Sing with a group or choir. (I wrote this one while watching Glee!)
97. Attend or host a tea party.
98. Ride in a limousine.
Done! December 30th, 2011. it was my friend Caro’s birthday and her boyfriend planned a surprise, with a limo, champagne and dinner. I don’t usually like champagne, but it tasted different in a limo!
99. Run on the beach.
100. Try aerial yoga.
101. Say a rosary.
So there it is. My list. As you can see, it’s got a little bit of everything on it. 1001 days is about 2 1/2 years, so they can’t all be life-changing goals. The point of this list, for me, is to get out there and try new things and to make time for the things I love. If you have any tips or ideas about how I could go about getting some of these done, please let me know! Try writing your own list. You’ll see, the ideas will just some to you! And most of all, have fun with it!