I don’t have a very strong core. I have strong legs and arms, but not my core. That’s ok, because I can work on it and get stronger. The thing is, I don’t like working on my core. I don’t like planks and dolphin push ups and a million boat poses. I don’t need a six pack. The other thing, however, is that I really, really want to do a headstand, a handstand, a forearm stand, and any other inversion. You need a strong core for that.
I’m on day 5 of my 30 day yoga challenge, and the only class I could fit it yesterday, on day 4, was a core flow class. I usually avoid this class, although I love the teacher (hi Amber!). I go to her other classes, but not this one. Except for yesterday. I thought I would put together a helpful little list for anyone who might not know what they’re getting into.
1. Don’t go.
2. See step one.
3. Ok fine. If you’re going, don’t take it too seriously.
4. Ask the teacher to go easy on the core work.
5. When the teacher says “Take it easy, you don’t want to tire yourself out in the first 10 minutes”, listen to her! Also, don’t yell out “What?! It’s only been 10 minutes?!”
6. Do dolphin pose. Do one dolphin pose push up to see what it feels like. Forever avoid dolphin pushups.
7. When you do side plank on your forearm, you can’t adjust your arm without falling down, it’s kind of holding you up. Not that I fell or anything.
8. During the 24 minute plank pose, just hang out on your mat like you’re at the beach and tell yourself everyone is so busy not passing out that nobody will notice.
9. After class, don’t ask your teacher if she noticed you wimped out on most of the poses, because when she says she didn’t notice, you can’t really laugh and say “Haha, just kidding, I did it all!” She won’t believe you.
10. Your abs will hurt the next day when you laugh, even if you only did a third of the planks (that’s still like 32).
11. Go out for dinner with your girlfriends to reward yourself for all your hard work.
Today I went to yin, because there was no way I was doing a power class! I think tomorrow might be a yin-day as well.
I’ve been wearing dresses for my week long dress challenge too. It’s so much easier to wear dresses than to do a core class!
Day 4 Day 5